Manager of community football & club development
MANAGER OF COMMUNITY FOOTBALL & CLUB DEVELOPMENT
- Strategic role leading the growth and development of clubs and competitions in the NT
- Values driven culture
- Fantastic team benefits
Our goal here at the AFL is to enhance and grow the game across all states and all levels – from grassroots to elite. As one team, we put on the game, build participation, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, and collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. Our roles may vary but we are all united by our common goal, to leave the game in an even more extraordinary place.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role is responsible for the strategic management and operation of the NTFL and all community football leagues and clubs across the NT. The position will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to manage and grow community competitions through facilitating quality community Club environments, umpiring pathways, and the most appropriate competition structures and pathways from junior to senior football.
Furthermore, the role oversees the health and development of community football, ensuring that community leagues, clubs and umpiring groups have the necessary support, training and resources required to enhance the overall quality of community football within their regions.
Please note employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check. The successful candidate is required to possess a valid ‘working with children’ check.
The AFL has extensive procedures and checks in place to protect children and young people in our organisation.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
- Oversee all football operations throughout the Northern Territory
- Implement the Strategic objectives contained within the AFL NT plan
- Manage and review the governance and consistent application / compliance with affiliation agreements, policies, rules and regulations to maintain quality competitive competitions and match day environments
- Management of football operations staff to ensure best practice competition management of all affiliated leagues
- Oversee the states umpiring department and plans at a community level, including the execution of national programs and tailored local initiatives to increase participation and improve pathways for umpires
- Support Community Football League and Club administrators across the state by providing up-to-date information and resources which will develop and enhance a community football environment that is sustainable, supports and develops volunteers and also fosters participation growth in community clubs
- Responsible for overseeing the future structure and growth of junior and senior football within Darwin and the determining effective governance structures community clubs and leagues
- Ensure that leagues have implemented effective competitive balance and club sustainability programs
- Ensure a complete junior, youth and senior competition pathway exists for both males and females across the NT
- Investigate and support leagues with respect to enhancing financial frameworks and increasing commercial revenue
- Investigate grant support to increase reach of existing resources for community leagues and clubs;
- Work closely with all stakeholders to expand diversity of umpiring, volunteers and coaches
- Explore new competition offerings across key regions including schools, Masters and AFLX competitions.
- Oversee all relevant annual budgeting and financial activity
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- At least 5 years’ experience within the football industry, large community-based sporting or other similar organisation experience managing a business unit, a significant football competition or key projects across complex and challenging environments involving multiple stakeholders.
- Proven strategic planning and implementation capabilities
- Ability to innovate, challenge convention and manage change.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills, with high level of stake holder management skills, especially negotiation.
- Proven financial management and accountability.
- Operational and administrative management experience and attributes.
- Ability to persuade and influence others, particularly volunteers for mutual benefit
- Experience reviewing and developing governance structures
- Experience dealing with legal matters such as legal and licence agreements
- Graduate education in sports business, marketing or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Specific experience within the football network or a large community-based sporting or other organisation that has provided a knowledge of community, grass roots level sport.
- A passion for sports (and particularly Australian Football)
- Proven capacity to deliver training and sport development/education programs.
- We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program
My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends
My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s Corporate Partners
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2019