Project es&h manager
Requisition ID: 225361
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The Gabon Infrastructure Project is a program management services project. Bechtel is responsible to assist the Gabonese government with the establishment and implementation of a specialized agency to manage the country’s $25B capital improvement program and Master Plan.
Bechtel employees are seconded into and work for the Gabonese government agency. Bechtel’s mandate includes: provide technical expertise to develop the structure and governance of the agency as well as establishment and implementation of procedures that comply with international standards. Capacity building of the national employees is a primary focus.
The program includes projects that cover all facets of infrastructure development such as: roads, bridges, water projects, housing, schools, power distribution, etc.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Health and Safety Manager will lead the development and implementation of project Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) program, (including medical and industrial hygiene), policies, strategies, procedures and plans that are critical to the success of the Project. He/She will lead a high-performing ES&H project team (made up of staff from Bechtel personnel and ANGTI National employees) and engage the project leadership team to actively participate in the ES&H program to achieve a positive culture.
He/She will have overall responsibility for project ES&H execution, ensuring project is adhering to contract requirements, standards of quality, and to customer and Bechtel ES&H performance expectations.
JOB DIMENSIONS: A. Supervision Received Reports to and receives direction and functional guidance from the Project Operations / Construction Manager (a Bechtel employee seconded to the agency).
May also receive direction from the Director General / Project Manager (a Bechtel employee seconded to the agency). B. Supervision Exercised
Provides operational supervision of Project ES&H personnel (both National and Bechtel) C. Contacts Develops and maintains relationships with agency personnel in all departments and levels of the organization.
Develops and maintains relationships with Contractors. Interacts with Client & Ministry personnel as-required.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Develops and manages the ES&H program for a specific project or facility in accordance with established policies, systems, processes, procedures and methods, client and/or host country requirements and regulations.
- Maintains relationships with internal organizations, customers, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate technical/scientific issues, new technologies, and integration of ES&H functional responsibilities into project design specifications, construction plans and schedules, and subcontractor bid packages.
- Ensures that technical requirements are properly interpreted and applied into the ES&H execution plan and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction methodologies and ability to function as construction supervisor and deputize for the construction manager as required.
- Ensures that ES&H requirements are incorporated into all processes and procedures across the Project, including Human Resources, Contracts/Procurement, Engineering, and Construction.
In particular - construction safety, road safety, occupational health and wellbeing, training/competence, compliance/inspection, risk reduction, hazard school, consequence management and positive recognition.
- Ensures the ES&H compliance and inspections of project construction activities are conducted to meet contract commitments, and project level policies, procedures and plans.
- Ensures the occupational health and wellbeing procedures, including in country and camp/welfare facilities (if required), immunizations, rescue, emergency transportation, and evacuation are compliant with local, international requirements and company standards.
- Ensures host country, client and Bechtel ES&H standards are integrated into projects and facilities policies, processes and procedures.
- Communicates the project specific ES&H policies, systems, processes, procedures and methods with stakeholders including Client representative and Contractors/Subcontractors.
- Manages project accident/incident investigations, document control and notifications (on and off project).
- Maintains contact, as appropriate, with government regulatory and resource agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards as they apply to the project.
- Coordinates inspection tours of regulatory compliance officers who are auditing the project/facility for compliance with government ES&H requirements.
Accompanies the compliance officer(s) during the audit; ensures that all inspection reports are prepared and retained for legal defense should litigation result.
- Receives technical and administrative supervision from the global business unit (GBU) ES&H Manager.
Receives supervision and work assignments from the Project Manager or Operations / Construction Manager.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college/university and 15 years’ experience or extensive work experience in leadership roles in the construction industry and/or large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Extensive and demonstrated experience in leading and managing all aspects of ES&H on a major infrastructure project.
- Extensive and demonstrated experience construction safety, occupational health, behavioral safety and accident investigation.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of ES&H requirements for contractors/subcontractors or consultants during construction.
- Experience of national and international ES&H laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for ES&H compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential ES&H impacts during project execution.
- Experience in managing a multi-national workforce.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods and work processes.
- Broad knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s organizational structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office
- Demonstrated ability to handle international work in hardship locations preferred.
Preferred experience in working in multinational project teams with varying technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate complex issues to high level political officials.
- The successful candidate should be a self-starter with strong problem-solving skills being able to work in a non-standard Bechtel environment.
- French language capability is desirable.
- Must be able to work overtime and adapt to changing work schedules.
- Possesses Bechtel Certification for Project ES&H Manager (BCert), and ideally certifications from national/international accrediting organizations/associations e.g. NEBOSH Diploma, and ideally chartered.
- Awareness of ISO 18001 or 45001 and auditor training.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents.
We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.