Senior Program Manager - Empowerment, Voice & Accountability
Senior Program Manager - Empowerment, Voice & Accountability
- Reserved for Papua New Guinean citizens only
- Long Term Role
The Partnership Arrangement between the Government of Papua New Guinea and the Government of Australia for Improved Decentralisation and Service Delivery reflects the desire to cooperate on PNG's stated priority of improving service delivery, economic opportunity and development outcomes by strengthening the decentralisation system of government and enhancing engagement with citizens. The Partnership Arrangement states three broad objectives:
- Local solutions for local challenges - frontline service delivery and economic opportunity in the provinces and districts are improved.
- Papua New Guinea's citizens engage and participate in the development of their communities.
- Papua New Guinea's policies for decentralised service delivery are well developed and well understood.
The DCP Partnership works in support of these objectives.
Role Summary - Senior Program Manager, Empowerment, Voice and Accountability
The Senior Program Manager (SPM) will be responsible for providing overarching program management support and the coordination of activities and deliverables for programs within the EVA portfolio. The SPM manages DCPP's local governance investments that broadly supports citizen engagement, civil society organisations and participation, including those that relate to sub-national policy implementation, governance, social accountability and inclusion. The key stakeholders of the EVA program are women, youth and People with Disabilities (PWDs). The program contributes to delivery of the partnership's Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) strategy outcomes.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Deputy Director to track EVA program deliverables, associated risks, issues and gaps
- Lead on the review of the EVA theory of change (program logic), strategy, and annual work plan and drive the delivery of activities to support a coherent and effective future suit of EVA programs. The review will be strongly linked to the decentralisation delivery strategy and will include stakeholder analysis, a sustainability plan, theory of change and simplified monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) framework.
- Oversee the implementation of a coherent EVA work stream ensuring alignment with GoPNG and Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) priorities and integration of other DCPP programs including the Church Partnership Program and GEDSI
- Support deliverables to help implement the DCPP communication strategy
- Maintain working relationships and engagement with key stakeholders, including government and civil society organisations
- Manage and oversee the personnel (national and sub-national), workplans, budget, risks and deliverables of the cohesion team
- Produce progress reports and report to the Deputy Director on program progress and implementation issues
- Support the coordination between the Deputy Director and grant recipients in implementing the citizen participation programs
- Coordinate, activities, briefings, reports and workshops related to the EVA team
- Manage relationships and support DFAT's citizen participation team at the Australian High Commission
- Provide advice and support on other citizen participation and decentralisation activities as reasonably required by the Deputy Director, especially related to gender and social inclusion
- Other duties as reasonably directed
The successful candidate will bring:
- Tertiary qualifications in project management, local government, citizen participation or a relevant field
- 10 years' experience coordinating and managing program coordination activities across large and complex cross-program environment (preferably in a development context)
- Previous experience working at the sub-national level, extensive sub-national networks and with programming for women, youth and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs)
- Strong written communication skills with demonstrated experience preparing high quality reports and professional documents for senior and executive audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build effective teams and lead collaboration, especially in a cross-cultural context
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- Strong experience with project management and time management systems including MS Project or similar
- An understanding of the public diplomacy requirements of the Australian and PNG Governments
- Experience working in PNG or Pacific Region will be highly regarded with an understanding of the Australian aid program and foreign policy priorities
Further details in regard to this opportunity and associated remuneration can be found in the Information for Applicants available from the Careers page of Abt Associate's website at:
Go to 'Apply Now', 'Aus/UK Postings' and by searching 'By Country/Region' for Papua New Guinea, you will find this and all other roles currently being advertised for Abt Associates in PNG. Applications should be submitted online and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria, including questions of due diligence.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 05 December 2020 (12pm Midnight, Local Time).
We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.