- Contract role until March 2021
- Join the largest superannuation provider in Australia
- Be a vital part of our global growth
AustralianSuper is for all Australians and businesses; we put members first in everything we do with the goal of helping to create the best possible retirement outcome. More than 2 million members trust us to invest more than $170 billion on their behalf. Here's where you come in
To support the growth of AustralianSuper (the Fund) we are seeking an in-house Legal Counsel to join our Transaction Advisory team in the new year on a contract basis until March 2021.
The role of Legal Counsel is designed to ensure the legal risks associated with the Fund's growing investment activities are effectively identified, negotiated and mitigated. There will be a particular focus on the Funds direct investments, with you being accountable for running transactions across infrastructure, debt, property and private equity - both domestically and internationally. Throughout your tenure at AustralianSuper you will be involved in varied and fascinating pieces of work which may range from coordinating public to private takeovers to performing due diligence on the latest infrastructure privatisation opportunity, through to answering bespoke queries on investment ESG issues and providing strategic advice on investment into new jurisdictions and markets.
In this role, you will:
- Manage transactions on a global scale across all asset classes
- Manage the legal and related due diligence required in respect of the assets in which the Fund is planning to invest, with a focus on the Fund's direct investments in infrastructure, debt, property and private equity
- Identify and mitigate legal risks associated with the Funds investment activities
- Maintain and manage the relationship with external due diligence providers ensuring all material risks are addressed to the Fund's satisfaction
- Provide advice on legal documentation and commercial terms in relation to the Fund's investments
- Take an active role with the development and implementation of appropriate control processes, precedents and checklists for both listed and unlisted assets
- Be responsible for presenting and advising on a transaction's legal risks to the Fund's appropriate decision making group
- Form networks and relationships with global peers
- Keep pace with the issues surrounding the investment of funds into a broad range of asset classes and communicate there to senior stakeholders as required
The above is not a comprehensive list and may change from time to time based on business needs, changes, and requirements. You'll need
- A wealth of experience working within private practice at a large firm or an in-house legal function within an institutional investing organisation (4+ PQE)
- An understanding of corporate / M&A / banking or other transactional law
- Strong experience working on large-scale corporate/commercial transactions
- Experience in conducting negotiations, drafting contracts, preparing reports, analysing information and drawing conclusions
- Experience managing projects with several parties and service providers
- Detailed comprehension of due diligence principles in relation to investments
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Relevant degree and/or qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with the ability and confidence to seek answers for themselves and you will enjoy working mutually within a team, building meaningful and valued relationships and working towards a common goal.
Please note, this is deemed an "Access Person" role, meaning Disclosure and Personal Trading requirements apply to the successful candidate What's next
We believe embracing diversity in thought and perspective helps introduce new and better ways of doing business, delivering better outcomes for our members. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
If you would like the opportunity to work in a challenging, growing and rapidly evolving environment to deliver outstanding results that benefit members, please apply now!
Agencies please note: this vacancy is being managed directly by AustralianSuper's Recruitment team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require additional support. Thank you.