Specialist Geologist – Perth
About the role
- Utilise your analytical and problem solving skills to support business decisions around mineral waste management.
Work collaboratively with other technical experts to implement process and system improvements on site.
- Permanent Perth based opportunity with flexible working arrangements
We are looking for a Specialist Geologist
to join our team based in Perth.
In this role, you will support the Mineral Waste Management team in providing technical advice to the business. You will have significant experience positively leading and influencing, and enjoy working with a diverse stakeholder group. Seeking out opportunities for improvement should come naturally, and you are ready to tackle everything with a can do attitude. You will be exposed to the full life cycle from project development, through operations and into closure.
Reporting to the Superintendent Mineral Waste you will:
- Provide specialist technical advice to studies, operations and closure
- Undertake geochemical characterisation of samples, and communicate results and implications to the business.
- Interrogate large datasets to determine trends in geological and water quality data.
- Work closely with teams to implement standards, ensuring compliance and best practice are in use at sites
- Implement and roll out improvements to increase the efficiency of current procedures, systems and capabilities
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Relevant qualifications as an Environment Engineer, Geologist, Geochemist etc
Previous Mining Experience
- Familiarity in acid and metalliferous drainage characterisation and/or water quality analysis and management of their impacts
An analytical mind and be research focussed
Experience working within a highly technical team with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders both internal and external
To succeed in this role, you will be tertiary qualified with demonstrated experience within a relevant field. Working closely with Perth and site teams you will also be analytically minded; with the ability to investigate, test and roll out improvements to systems. Exposure to software packages such as Vulcan, ArcGIS and acQuire will be advantageous.
Where you will be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must
complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn