Full Job Description
- Exciting, challenging role working with animals in need
- Leading animal welfare charity, supporting a good cause
- Opportunities at both our North Melbourne & Cranbourne sites
Are you an experienced animal care professional who would love to be a part of a great cause helping thousands of animals each year? The Lost Dogs’ Home is seeking Casual Animal Attendants to join our dedicated team, with positions available at both our North Melbourne shelter and Cranbourne facility.
The Lost Dogs' Home is one of the country's largest animal welfare organisations, caring for more than 20,000 cats and dogs each year. We pride ourselves on employing qualified individuals who demonstrate a strong personal connection to animals, the community and the cause.
We are seeking driven, enthusiastic individuals, who have previous experience working in a similar animal handling role. The successful candidate will be willing to work a rotating roster, including weekends.
Key responsibilities include:
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- General handling and husbandry of our shelter animals, including cleaning and feeding
- Driving jobs, including transporting animals between shelters and council pounds
- Identifying and reporting animals that are ill or have behavioural issues
- Working closely as a team
- Assisting members of the public with lost and found inquiries
- Liaising with the general public and council officers
- General cleaning and maintaining of the shelter, including laundry and vehicles
- Maintaining up-to-date records of all impounded animals
- Maintaining food stock levels
- Communicating with staff and departments on animals such as food types and exercise
What you will get in return:
- Experience working with animals in a professional capacity (essential), preferably within a shelter environment
- A recognised animal-related qualification/s (essential) (e.g. Cert II in Animal Studies)
- Customer service experience
- A current driver's licence
- Sound emotional maturity and ethics regarding animals and their welfare
- The ability to display initiative and motivation
- A reasonable level of fitness and the ability and motivation to work in a physically demanding role
- Fantastic career development and opportunities
- Discounts at our vet clinic, Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Access to the Foster Care Program
- A unique and friendly working environment (surrounded by animals!)
- Rewarding work with animals in need
If you have the skills, experience and maturity to be successful in this role, please click on the “Apply” button, ensuring you have attached your cover letter and current resume in Word or PDF format.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.