About the business:
CommTel is a leading international provider of advanced and engineered solutions for mission and business critical networks. We are a technology integrator, specialising in the delivery of network solutions that ensure the reliable delivery of vital services such as water, gas, electricity, public transport, and emergency services. Businesses in the mining, transport, oil & gas, utilities and emergency services sectors rely on CommTel as their trusted, long-term partner to ensure their systems meet their requirements in the critical areas of safety, reliability, capacity, efficiency, intelligence and security.
About the role:
The Lead Engineer is responsible for the engineering and design of turnkey communications infrastructure solutions in remote environments such as mining, oil & gas and emergency services environments. The complete solution may consist of communications shelter, tower/pole for communications equipment, power systems (batteries, generators, solar power), and electrical systems needed to house and power networking equipment in remote communications networks, as well as the communications networking equipment itself. The Lead Engineer will have end-to-end involvement in the project lifecycle, from requirements gathering and pre-sales to engineering design to overseeing and approving on-site installation and commissioning works. This role requires extensive interactions with customers as well as project managers and subcontractors. This will involve travel to site for the deployment phase.
- Support pre-sales process through:
- Developing conceptual solution designs in the engineering team, and
- Providing estimates for engineering resources (skills, effort, cost)
- Organise and plan the technical aspects of highly complex engineering projects including the design and preparation of user requirement specifications, material and component specifications, safety in design requirements for new and altered works.
- Work with specialist engineers to ensure that telecommunications infrastructure designs are produced to conform to industry best practice, as well as customer’s requirements
- Organise and prepare the associated documentation, user requirements, system requirements, installation procedures, verification and validation, testing and commissioning, asset handover, type approval, maintenance procedures for telecommunications infrastructure solutions.
- Ensuring independent quality assurance checks are performed on engineer’s designs, ensuring:
- Customer’s functional and technical requirements have been met, and
- Relevant standards (customer, industry and/or CommTel) have been followed.
- Ensure documents are appropriately managed, version controlled and approved as per standard CommTel processes and customer processes.
- Lead design review discussions and negotiations with the customer, and work through any questions and issues that may arise.
- Review FAT and SAT test plans to ensure they properly verify the solution and ensure that testing is executed as per plan.
- Ensure sign off at each stage of the construction, installation and commissioning process by a suitably qualified engineer.
- Work through any solution issues or variations that may arise during development or installation phases with specialist engineers, subcontractor and project manager as required.
Skills & Experience:
- Tertiary degree or higher in engineering, preferably in civil or electrical or structural engineering, specifically in Telecommunication Infrastructure projects in a mine, gas field, or rail corridor environment
- Experience in designing and delivering multidiscipline telecommunications infrastructure projects.
- Experience and application in reference to various AS/NZ Standards directly related to the design and development of Telecommunication Structures and Infrastructure in Australia; AS3995, AS1170, Deployment Code, Telecommunications Act, etc.
- Experience in design and drafting software such as AutoCAD, MicroStation, or SolidWorks.
- High level of skill in the design and checking of complex engineering systems and designs including a proven track record of resolving problems to improve overall performance
- High level of skill in planning and undertaking professional work without direct supervision and in exercising initiative in the application of professional practices and to take responsibility for project deliverables.
- High level of interpersonal, written and communication, consultation and negotiation skills
- Experience in end-to-end product architecture, design and construction/manufacturing of telecommunications infrastructure solutions in a production environment.
- Membership and Registration with Engineers Australia as a Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng)
- Membership with National Engineering Register Areas of Practice in at least one (1) of the following divisions: Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Information, Telecommunications and Electronics Engineering (ITEE)
- Experience in the transport, mining, utilities and/or emergency services industries.
Job benefits and perks:
CommTel have access to generous employee benefits including our Employee Assistance Program, Employee Recognition Program, onsite parking, training and professional development opportunities.
We also have a weekly fruit box, great coffee and social table tennis competitions.
How to apply:
If you believe you have the skills and experience then please click "Apply" now. Please note that Police, Identity Checks and Psychometric Testing will be required.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. No agencies please.
CommTel is an equal opportunity employer.