Support Worker (Nights)
Would you like to enrich the lives of those living with dementia?
At Alzheimer’s WA our shared purpose is to improve the lived experience of those on the dementia journey.
Through advocacy, leadership, innovation, education, partnerships and holistic person- centred care and support, we endeavour to support the pursuit of risk-reduction, treatment and cure for dementia.
We are seeking an overnight respite support worker to provide a quality overnight respite service in a safe, homely environment for clients living with dementia, based on Eden Principles and a person centred approach, which supports the person’s wellbeing, choice and needs whilst promoting autonomy and independence.
We currently support 2-3 clients overnight and are looking for someone who is reliable to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from 8pm to 8am. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work autonomously and have the skills and confidence to support up to three clients alone overnight.
The role is Cottage Respite Support (majority of hours will be non active which means you can rest/sleep)
The position is casual
Your duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Support the individual needs of clients staying overnight including but not limited to: meal preparation, personal care, cleaning, laundry and other housekeeping tasks
- Assist in the planning, implementation and facilitation of appropriate individual and group activities
- Assist clients to maintain their optimum level of involvement and independence in social activities, activities of daily living and personal care
- Support the client with their individual care by responding to their changing needs
- Support client in activities as listed on their Support Plan
- Collaborates as part of a team to provide quality support to the person with dementia based on person centred practices and Eden principles
- Provides regular and timely feedback to the Senior Coordinator and Coordinator on any issues that arise relating to the client and their carer/family member
- Maintains the client’s privacy and confidentiality of information
As the successful cottage respite support worker you will have:
- Certificate III in Individual Support or similar qualification
- Relevant Industry experience in a Health or Human Services setting;
- Demonstrated ability to engage in meaningful relationships with people with dementia using appropriate communication methods and engagement strategies to; support individual abilities; promote dignity at all times; and provide reassurance and validation of feelings;
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain a respite environment that supports and empowers people with dementia;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team member plus ability to work autonomously within the scope of the role
- Willingness to participate in specific training and skills development as required;
- Current Police clearance and Senior First Aid Certificate;
- Demonstrated experience in the provision of personal care assistance to people with dementia;
- Knowledge of cultural considerations;
- Computer and keyboard skills
- Knowledge/awareness of person centred care and the Eden Alternative Philosophy
What you get in return:
- Attractive salary packaging options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellbeing Program
How to apply:
Please submit your application with a cover letter addressing the selection criteria, via the Alzheimer's WA website. Only applications submitted via our website will be considered.
Applications close 27 July 2020
Please note: Short listing may commence immediately. We reserve the right to close the position without notice. Only suitable candidates will be considered and contacted if short listed.
Job Type: Casual
Job Type: Casual