Indigenous Liaison Officer (Affirmative Measure – Indigenous...
- APS 6 - $82,500 - $93,670 per annum plus superannuation
- People Division
- Canberra, ACT
- Crucial role that plays a significant part in not only supporting our Indigenous staff but also building cultural capability across the department and broader portfolio agencies
- Work in a motivated, professional team whose focus is on diversity and building a truly inclusive culture
- Contribute to the departments agenda on Closing the Gap for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and the communities that we support
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Who we are
The Diversity and Inclusion Section seeks to be a collaborative, informed and responsive team that provides evidence-based, forward looking and contemporary workforce strategies. We provide initiatives and support to assist the department to be a modern, progressive department with engaged, diverse and capable people. The main areas of responsibility include but are not limited to, development, implementation and evaluation of the departments Inclusion strategy, Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), Commonwealth Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Strategy 2020-24 and associated activities and networks. We support the department to deliver culture change programs related to HR activities.
The Indigenous Liaison Officer (ILO) is an Indigenous HR practitioner that will work with business areas to design and implement effective engagement strategies to attract, recruit, retain and advance Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees in the department and the APS. The role will work with business areas to facilitate a range of employment initiatives and programs to achieve the department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment and retention targets and implementation of the Commonwealths Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Strategy 2020-2024.
The main duties of the role include, but are not limited to:
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
- developing and implementing strategies, policies, action plans and guides to achieve the department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment and retention targets
- driving the development and implementation of the departments action plan against the roadmap for the Commonwealths Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Strategy 2020-2024
- providing advice to various areas of the department on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment and selection, employment conditions, career development and other HR matters relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees
- representing the department at relevant external networks and forums, such as the APS ILO Network and career development working groups relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment in the APS
- providing support to the department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network (ATSIEN/ISN) and pastoral care to all identified staff members
- promoting cultural capability within the department through cultural awareness training, advice and activities.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.
- A strong knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander society and culture and the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in contemporary Australian society.
- Relevant experience in workplace diversity or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander projects and management is highly desirable.