Public Health Medicine Officer *2 Positions
Department of Health
Public Health Services
PHS - Health Protection
Base salary of $91,442 - $115,053 pro rata per annum plus allowances and superannuation.
- Medical Practitioner (Registrar)
- Salaried Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Agreement
Period of employment / Hours:
- Fixed Term Full time work for a period of up to 12 Months
Department of Health - Public Health Services- Hobart
The Public Health Medical Officer will lead and participate in a range of public health activities and projects as determined by the Director of Public Health in conjunction with other supervisors in the Communicable Diseases Prevention Unit, Environmental Health Unit, Epidemiology Unit, Health Improvement and Partnership Development.
Duties will include the following:
- For incumbents who are in specialist public health training, to gain experience against selected core public health medicine competencies and skills at a level suitable for application to enter the Fellowship of Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine.
- Support the diverse roles of Public Health Services in identifying, characterising and responding to issues of potential public health importance including environmental health, communicable disease control, health improvement policy and practice, and statutory public health.
- Development of data analysis, research and epidemiological skills.
- Development of communication, networking and advocacy skills.
- Preparation and submission of papers for publication, presentation of papers at conferences and delivery of teaching (for example at CME training sessions or to medical students) as appropriate.
- Actively participate in and contribute to the organisation’s Quality & Safety and Work Health & Safety processes, including the development and implementation of safety systems, improvement initiatives and related training, ensuring that quality and safety improvement processes are in place and acted upon.
Note: - Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
- General Medical Registration with the Medical Board of Australia.
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- 1. Conviction checks in the following areas:
- a) crimes of violence
- b) sex related offences
- c) serious drug offences
- d) crimes involving dishonesty
- e) serious traffic offences
- 2. Identification check
- 3. Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
- Post-Graduate Qualifications in Public Health
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
For more information (Contact Officer)
Name: Kate Garvey
Phone: (03) 6166 0677
How to apply:
- To apply, please provide a copy of your CV and provide a response to the selection criteria as outlined in the Statement of Duties.
If you apply online: - Please do not send a hard copy application as well. - You do not need to upload an Application for Employment form.
Complete the following application form and post your application to us at:
Recruitment Services - Human Resources
Department of Health
GPO Box 125
HOBART TAS 7001
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania. Visit us at www.dhhs.tas.gov.au