Teacher Of Swimming And Water Safety
At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
The SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre; a state-of-the-art indoor aquatic and gym facility, providing in excess of 1,000 square metres of water space, together with full gym facilities to meet varied elite and community needs. The facility provides opportunities for all South Australian's to 'be active'.
Key Elements of the Role
Teachers of Swimming and Water Safety are required to maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of aquatic programs, educational trends and industry policy.
The Teachers of Swimming and Water Safety is responsible and commit to the YMCA Victoria including:
- The philosophies of Aquatic Programs and Services
- The delivery of safe, effective and professional lessons in a safe environment.
1. Teaching Attributes
- Commitment to SA Aquatic & Leisure philosophy in relation to aquatic programs; educational and teaching standards
- Display interest, enthusiasm, patience, respect and innovation to students and peers.
- Construct and implement lesson plans that promote group teaching methods, combining stroke development with water safety and enhancing the developmental assets aspect of programs.
- Structures and designs lessons with appropriate activities that enhance student interaction and collaboration
- Challenges and develops student's values and attitudes
- Listens and is objective and non - judgemental always ensuring respectful language
- Exhibits concern and interest for the feelings and experiences of others
- Exhibits personal values and behaviour that instils trust
- Initiates and nurtures group interaction
- Teaches and models effective problem solving and conflict negotiation
- Work within a team environment to ensure safe, timely and effective set up / lesson delivery & pack up
- Construct and submit for archiving, appropriate lesson plans
- Ensure appropriate attendance and competency records are completed, collated and submitted of archiving
- Comply with legislative and organisational requirements relating to:
- Current water restrictions
- Occupational health and safety
- Guidelines for safe pool operation
- Perform other duties as required and comply with reasonable directions' as last deliverable / accountability
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Demonstrates motivation and commitment to perform to their best
- Accepts personal accountability for workplace actions and consequences to better influence
- Create a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner
- Immediately responds to customers' needs or concerns
- Is a role model who, demonstrates, and teaches positive values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Sets an example for parents by interacting, communicating, guiding, and setting clear boundaries and expectations for children in healthy and respectful ways.
- Displays a commitment to continued learning and professional development
- Displays understanding & respect to those of different talents, abilities and faith
- Builds on diversity to strengthen YMCA aquatic programs and services
- Performs other duties as required
Knowledge and Experience
- Dealing with difficult customers
- Being solution minded through Swimming technique correction
- Work as part of a team and shows professionalism and respect
- Punctual in both attendance on shift and attendance at staff meetings
- Flexible to work mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends in an effort to share workload.
- Ensures a clean neat presentation in correctly presented uniform
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Current Austswim - Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety (or equivalent)
- Provide First Aid
- Child Safe Environments (Mandatory Notification)
- Austwim Teacher of Infant and Preschool and/or Auswtim of Aquatics of Access and Inclusion and/or Austswim of Competitive Strokes and/or Austwim Teacher of Adults (Desirable)
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.