Lead Data Scientist
With approximately 50,000 talented people globally and 5,500 talented people based in more than 50 offices in Australia and New Zealand, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
To find out more about working at WSP, our culture and values, WSP and please visit our website www.wsp.com.
WSP Digital is the technology division of WSP. We are global innovators and leaders in the integrated development and use of digital technologies to enhance our customer’s engineering, infrastructure, building, and environmental projects.
We are immediately looking to hire a Lead Data Scientist to mentor and build a team.
What will you be doing?
- Leading our internal data science capability by coaching and mentoring other data scientists.
- Recruiting and onboarding high calibre data scientists
- Leading client projects and building relationships with internal and client teams to identify questions, issues and opportunities for data analysis and experiments.
- Working with internal business development and clients to grow the business
- Working with Project Managers to ensure that customer projects are delivered to budget, scope and time
- Develop and code software programs, algorithms and automated processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate large data sets from multiple disparate sources.
- Work with massive and complex data sets from multiple sources, utilising big data tools and techniques for the purposes of analysing, providing insight and validating hypotheses.
- Performing deep dive analyses of experiments through reliable modelling methods that include numerous explanatory variables and covariates.
- Ensure quality of team deliverables by implementing appropriate model review practices
- Translating analytical insights into concrete, actionable recommendations for business, process or product improvements.
- Making recommendations for the collection of new data or the refinement of existing data sources and storage.
- Ensure all uses of data comply with WSP’s and Government’s Privacy policies, WSP’s AI governance policy and relevant data security policies
What we'll love about you
- Experience in leading a data science function.
- At least 6 - 10 years’ experience in a data science environment (experience may be corporate, research/government or academia).
- Ability to manipulate and analyse complex, high-volume, high dimensionality data and metadata from varying sources.
- Passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data.
- Expert knowledge of analysis tools and big data technologies (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc).
- Familiarity with relational/non-relational data manipulation, machine learning, and scientific statistical analysis.
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Flexible analytical approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision.
- Solid understanding and experience with programming logic and various paradigms.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team of data scientists
- Ability to build meaningful trusted customer relationships
- Ideally have existing customer relationships, networks and contacts that will assist in growing WSP’s Data Science practice
What we will offer you
At WSP we provide a diverse and inclusive work environment and offer many personal and professional development opportunities that are aimed to help you deliver your best self to the role whilst managing your personal life in balance. We have been recognised for the second consecutive year as a Great Place to Work® with year-on-year increases in employee engagement.
Some of the many benefits we offer our employees include:
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Global mobility
- Parental leave & purchased additional annual leave
- Corporate employee discounts and offers
- Salary continuance insurance
- Wellness at work & social club
- Workplace giving /volunteering
- Employee reward & recognition program
- Professional and technical development opportunities
Inspired by Diversity, Driven by Inclusion…
Discover a forward-thinking culture that incorporates some conventional yet non-negotiable qualities—like respect, integrity and trust. We welcome to the table all perspectives, strengths, skills, creeds and genders because we know that diverse ideas breed extraordinary results.
Please note we will not be engaging the services of recruitment agencies.