Senior Policy Officer
If you are passionate about policy development and law reform, enjoy working in a fast paced environment, and have a sound understanding of the operations of Government and/or experience in Parliamentary and Ministerial processes a short term role in the Strategy and Policy Branch could be for you. Senior Policy Officers coordinate and undertake policy development and provide analysis and advice to support Agency and/or Government policy initiatives and commitments.
Manage and coordinate the development and implementation of a range of policy initiatives to contribute to the delivery of policy initiatives that support Agency and/or Government commitments. The role manages policy projects and provides advice to relevant management on policy, legislative, and procedural reform.
- Assisting the Director, Policy Managers and team members to ensure Ministerial and Departmental objectives are achieved
- Providing support for the legislative program of the Attorney General and the Minister for the Department
- Undertaking research, drafting policy advice and developing legislation that supports major reforms in the criminal justice system.
- Research, analyse and review complex policy issues, identifying emerging issues, developing evidence based options, and recommended solutions to resolve problems and mitigate risks
- Provide expert policy advice and information to relevant stakeholders to facilitate the appropriate interpretation and implementation of policies and support Agency and/or Government policy initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, facilitating their engagement in, and contribution to, the identification and development of policy solutions and to inform policy decision making
- Monitor, evaluate and report on the development and/or implementation of policies to identify issues and ensure the achievement of desired outcomes
- Mentor and guide policy officers and support staff, ensuring compliance with governance and quality requirements, to successfully deliver policy priorities and initiatives
- Prepare correspondence, written reports, publications, and briefs, that are informative and aligned with agency requirements, to respond to Agency and/or Government requests
- Assist Policy Managers and team members to ensure Departmental objectives are achieved.
- Legal qualifications (Bachelor of Laws or equivalent)
- Sound knowledge of Commonwealth and State law, government functions and the legislative process