Biosecurity Assessment Officer (APS4)
PERSOLKELLY are Seeking a Biosecurity Assessment Officer (APS4 )for an approximate 6month period in Canberra - Laboratory and Human Tissues Program.
The Animal and Biological Imports Branch implements biosecurity policies to allow for the safe movement of animals, animal products and genetic material into Australia. The branch is responsible for the management of biosecurity risks posed by animal, human and microbial commodities that are imported for laboratory use.
You will assess import permit applications and issue import permits, develop and publish import conditions, instructional material and guidance, and provide technical advice to departmental staff, importers and stakeholders.
- Undertake biosecurity regulatory functions including assessing import permit applications for animal and biological products.
- Prepare changes to the department's import conditions database (BICON) and other online material.
- Assist with the reviewing and updating of technical work instructions for operational staff within the department undertaking frontline biosecurity related functions.
- Provide sound technical advice to importers, operational staff within the department and other stakeholders on biosecurity clearance issues associated with animal and biological product imports.
- Assess products used in a laboratory setting such as culture media, cell lines, animal fluids and tissues.
- Assist with reviews of business processes and identification of opportunities for improvement.
- Assist with the preparation of briefing, reports and correspondence.
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant area of biological, animal science or general science is mandatory
- A qualification in immunology, pathology, microbiology, molecular biology or biochemistry is advantageous
- An understanding of laboratory materials
- Knowledge or experience in Australia's biosecurity system
- Ability to undertake risk assessments and apply technical knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Capability to analyse scientific and technical information
- Ability to communicate with a range of different stakeholders
To submit your application, please click APPLY now.
For more details on this role, please contact Danielle at PERSOLKELLY on email@example.com