Racing Integrity Commissioner
- Vitoria's Racing Commissioner protecting a $4.3 billion industry
- Lead a small and highly capable team
- Unique and diverse leadership role - up to a 5 year contract
The Racing Integrity Commissioner is an independent statutory office holder established under the Racing Act 1958. Appointed by the Governor in Council, the Commissioner reports to Parliament through the Minister for Racing.
The Racing Integrity Commissioner operates in a dynamic environment and has a critical role in providing oversight of integrity within the $4.3 billion Victorian Racing Industry (thoroughbreds, harness and greyhounds). The role requires demonstrated capacity to lead and oversee major investigations including high profile matters. Past investigations have included Own Motion inquiries into race fixing and live baiting.
The Commissioner has the demonstrated capacity to establish trusting relationships with the industry and its participants whilst maintaining the independence necessary for such an office. Key stakeholders include: the three racing controlling bodies (Racing Victoria, Harness Racing Victoria and Greyhound Racing Victoria) and the Victorian Racing Integrity Board (VRIB). The Commissioner will also build strong relationships with a range of law enforcement agencies, including the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police, to facilitate the exchange of sensitive information and intelligence to ensure integrity within Victorian racing.
To be successful in this multi-faceted role, you will bring demonstrated experience and skills in a range of areas that include: leadership, regulatory systems, investigations, compliance, intelligence analysis, sports integrity, law enforcement, governance and legal services, to name a few. As a significant public facing role with a diverse range of stakeholders, you are highly regarded for your stakeholder management and media experience. You have an appreciation for the responsibilities and importance of an independent statutory office and are excited by the prospects of leading this critical function for the state of Victoria.
The functions and powers of the Commissioner are specified in the Racing Act 1958 and includes responsibility to:
- investigate matters referred by the Minister for Racing, the VRIB and the racing controlling bodies;
- investigate complaints made by members of the public and racing industry participants about the integrity processes and systems of the controlling bodies;
- liaise with a wide range of bodies including integrity and law enforcement agencies to facilitate the exchange of information and intelligence and strengthen relations between the controlling bodies and other agencies in relation to racing integrity as appropriate;
- report the findings of any investigations conducted into complaints that have not been referred to other bodies;
- make recommendations (if appropriate) following the investigation of any complaint, inquiry or matter to (as the Commissioner considers appropriate) the Minister for Racing, VRIB or racing controlling bodies;
- provide advice on integrity matters across thoroughbred, harness or greyhound racing; and
- conduct audits of the internal processes and systems (including animal welfare) of RV, HRV and GRV to the extent that they relate to integrity in racing.
To apply for this exciting role, please direct your application to Davidson Executive who are supporting the Department in this recruitment process, via their website www.davidsonexecutive.com.au. For further information or a confidential discussion, please contact Natasha Diamond on 0412 822 348 or Jarrod McLauchlan on 0407 808 517.