Operations Officer - APS 4
- APS Level 4
- Non-ongoing positions
The Field Officer Management team is responsible for the day-to-day management of field operations, allocating work to field staff, resolving issues and providing support to field staff as they undertake their work.
About the Australian Bureau of Statistics
We are Australia's national statistical agency. We aim to understand Australia's data needs to inform important decisions about our nation's future.
Our strategic priorities are:
- Continue to invest in the production of high-quality data and statistics.
- Be a leader in the Australian data landscape.
- Demonstrate leadership in data skills and capability building across Australia.
- Deliver new data solutions and services.
Field Operations Management (FOM) team works collaboratively with all other teams in the 2021 Census program. The FOM team is responsible for the day-to-day management of field operations, allocating work to field staff, resolving issues and providing support to field staff as they undertake their work.
Roles are available across several sub-teams that support FOM activities. In these roles, you will provide timely and effective support to ensure the success of 2021 Census field operations.
You may be required to do some, or all of the following:
- Provide workload, procedural, Work Health and Safety (WHS) and/or technical help to Census field and office staff.
- Relay important information between field staff and the Field Operations Management team.
- Escalate complex queries, issues and incidents to the appropriate team.
- Undertake performance management of field staff as required.
- Log all phone interactions with field staff into a central database.
- Support the creation, allocation and progress monitoring of workloads to field staff within their work areas.
- Provide support in monitoring a range of operational intelligence to ensure Census targets and objectives are met.
- Provide regular feedback regarding status updates and emerging issues to your team and supervisor.
- Contribute to the ongoing review and updating of process and procedures.
- Provide high level support to field staff regarding engagement and access arrangements with establishments (such as, but not limited to, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, caravan parks, secure apartment buildings).
- Coordinate the collection and reallocation of materials from field staff and support logistics requests.
- Support exception analysis of field staff pay claims.
- Support the booking, payment and management of travel for field staff.
- Support the identification, payment and booking of suitable venues for field staff training sessions.
- Support the development of training packages for office based and field staff.
- Support the review and delivery of face to face training for office-based and field staff.
- Support management of response to incidents and crises, including the submission of relevant WHS incident reports.
- Ensure high levels of confidentiality and security of Census information and materials.
- Undertake a combination of procedural, operational and administrative duties.
- Contribute to the progressive and final evaluation of Census operations for your work area.
- Other duties as required.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are highly motivated to deliver outcomes within a dynamic and complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to apply analytical thinking to support timely, evidence-based decision making that are aligned to agreed outcomes
- Are able to demonstrate good judgement and support their supervisor to inform decision making.
- Are able to support their supervisor to work with others to deliver results.
- Take a collaborative approach to tackling team tasks and working with other stakeholders to deliver the best possible results.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Have good interpersonal, customer relations and communication skills.
- Have the ability and confidence to provide coaching to field staff.
- Have the ability to quickly acquire the skills to use a range of office systems and applications.
- Have the ability to follow direction and procedures.
- Have a willingness to travel to various work areas (as required), which may include urban, regional or remote areas.
Skills and experience in one or more of the following areas is preferable:
- Travel management
- Logistics (management of the movement of material and equipment)
To become a Field Officer Management team member, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Australian citizenship - You must be an Australian Citizen or have the legal right to work in Australia. Evidence will be required during pre-employment screening. Preference will be given to Australian citizens.
- Character checks - If you are found suitable for employment, you will be required to undergo a number of pre-employment checks which will include an identity check, and national police check.
- Health Self-assessment - As part of your application, you are required to complete a health self-assessment to demonstrate you are fit and able to safely perform the role.