Biodiversity Data Strategist
Location: Canberra, ACT
Contract length: Until 30 June 2021 with one 6-month extension option
Essential: Australian Citizenship
About the Project:
The Department is developing a repository to capture biodiversity data into a publicly accessible system, governed by standards, so that data can be reused by governments (multi-jurisdictional) and proponents in future environmental assessments processes.
The project requires a specialist Biodiversity Data Strategist with skills or subject matter expertise in the ecological sciences, eResearch or bio informatics to carry forward the work to develop a technical solution to capture and integrate research quality data.
- Demonstrated experience in the capture, transformation, integration, storage, curation, exchange and open access to biodiversity or research data.
Ability to provide strategic advice to the solution development through knowledge of:
- formats/structure/capture/sourcing of biodiversity data
- spatially enabled field observation data
- use of metadata and taxonomic referencing
- data standards and protocols for capture, sharing and exchange of ecological data
- Ability to document the environmental data architecture and implementation plan for the solution, ensuring they align with the Department’s data governance frameworks and data principles and standards.
Ability to lead and collaborate with the IT project team, business leads and project partners to enable understanding of data requirements and make recommendations for addressing the data needs, risks, issues, potential delivery challenges and mitigation strategies to minimise impacts to the project.
Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively and broker agreement to develop a common operating model for biodiversity repository in a cross jurisdictional context.
Ability to participate in the design of data services (APIs) to facilitate the exchange of data using flexible data models between external and internal systems.
Degree in ecological /biological sciences with eResearch experience, or degree in informatics with biodiversity/ecology experience, plus experience in the use of technology solutions, and the capture and curation of biodiversity data.
We look forward to receiving your application!