Operations Support APS 3
- APS Level 3
The Field Officer Management team is responsible for the day-to-day management of field operations, allocating work to field staff, resolving issues and providing support to field staff as they undertake their work.
About the Australian Bureau of Statistics
We are Australia's national statistical agency. We aim to understand Australia's data needs to inform important decisions about our nation's future.
Our strategic priorities are:
- Continue to invest in the production of high-quality data and statistics.
- Be a leader in the Australian data landscape.
- Demonstrate leadership in data skills and capability building across Australia.
- Deliver new data solutions and services.
Field Operations Management (FOM) team works collaboratively with all other teams in the 2021 Census program. The FOM team is responsible for the day-to-day management of field operations, allocating work to field staff, resolving issues and providing support to field staff as they undertake their work.
Roles are available across several sub-teams that support FOM activities. In these roles, you will provide timely and effective support to ensure the success of 2021 Census field operations.
You may be required to do some, or all of the following:
- Provide workload, procedural, Work Health and Safety (WHS) and/or technical help to Census field and office staff.
- Relay important information between field staff and the Field Operations Management team.
- Escalate complex queries, issues and incidents to the appropriate team.
- Log all phone interactions with field staff into a central database.
- Support the creation, allocation and progress monitoring of workloads to field staff within their work areas.
- Assist in monitoring a range of operational intelligence to ensure Census targets and objectives are met.
- Provide regular feedback regarding status updates and emerging issues to your team and supervisor.
- Contribute to the ongoing review and updating of process and procedures.
- Assist in providing high level support to field staff regarding engagement and access arrangements with establishments (such as, but not limited to, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, caravan parks, secure apartment buildings).
- Assist in the coordination of the collection and reallocation of materials from field staff and support logistics requests.
- Assist with exception analysis of field staff pay claims.
- Assist with the booking, payment and management of travel for field staff.
- Assist with the identification, payment and booking of suitable venues for field staff training sessions.
- Assist in the coordination of face to face training for office based and field staff.
- Assist management of response to incidents and crises, including the submission of relevant WHS incident reports.
- Ensure high levels of confidentiality and security of Census information and materials.
- Undertake a combination of procedural, operational and administrative duties.
- Contribute to the progressive and final evaluation of Census operations for your work area.
- Other duties as required.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are highly motivated to deliver outcomes within a dynamic and complex environment.
- Are able to demonstrate good judgement and support their supervisor to inform decision making.
- Are able to support their supervisor to work with others to deliver results.
- Take a collaborative approach to tackling team tasks and working other stakeholders to deliver the best possible results.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Have good interpersonal, customer relations and communication skills.
- Have the ability and confidence to provide coaching to field staff (if required).
- Have the ability to quickly acquire the skills to use a range of office systems and applications.
- Have the ability to follow direction and procedures.
Skills and experience in one or more of the following areas would be an advantage:
- Travel management
- Logistics (management of the movement of material and equipment)
To become a Field Operations Management team member, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Australian citizenship - You must be an Australian Citizen or have the legal right to work in Australia. Evidence will be required during pre-employment screening. Preference will be given to Australian citizens.
- Character checks - If you are found suitable for employment, you will be required to undergo a number of pre-employment checks which will include an identity check, and national police check.
- Health Self-assessment - As part of your application, you are required to complete a health self-assessment to demonstrate you are fit and able to safely perform the role.