6 November 2020
Title Policy Advisor
Reports to Manager Operational Policy
Direct Reports Nil
Job type Permanent
Annual salary range AC-D
Location Newstead QLD
Closing Date Thursday 19 November 2020 at 5.00 pm AEST
Who is the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator?
What is important to us?
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) commenced operations in 2013 as a national entity responsible for
regulating all vehicles in Australia over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass. Located in Brisbane, the NHVR minimises the
compliance burden on the heavy vehicle transport industry, reduces duplication and inconsistencies across state and
territory borders, and ultimately for the heavy vehicle business with government in Australia.
At the NHVR our workplace values set the tone for our organisational culture:
- People matter
- Customer first
- We add value
- Strong partnerships
We value staff with a genuine belief in the work they do and the benefit it will bring. We aim to develop a supportive
work environment which we believe will be achieved by a focus on professionalism, team work and collective values.
What do we expect of our employees?
The NHVR is seeking an individual who:
- Is committed to meet and exceed the expectations of our clients and stakeholders
- Is energised by identifying new approaches and solutions
- Is innovative in addressing day-to-day challenges
- Is supportive towards colleagues and contributes towards making their workplace an enjoyable place to be
Commitment to safety, diversity and anti-discrimination
The NHVR is committed to providing a safe, forward-thinking and tolerant work environment. Diversity within our
workforce is valued as being representative of the standards, values and diversity within the community and clients we
1 of 3
Position Description | Policy Advisor
Through leadership and influence, the NHVR administers a national system that delivers consistent and streamlined
regulatory services and administration to the Australian heavy vehicle road transport sector, reducing regulatory burden
whilst enabling greater safety and productivity.
The Operations Division ensures the continued and improved effectiveness of operational processes and transactions for
customers and service users of the NHVR. The division is accountable for operational safety and compliance functions
The role of the Policy Advisor is to provide advice and contribute to project delivery on matters relating to heavy vehicle
regulation and a range of operational issues relating to effective regulatory service delivery. Working closely with a range
of NHVR business areas and with jurisdictional partners to develop and deliver future-state policies, work procedures and
projects that ensure the NHVR’s identified service standards and performance assurance framework are met.
• Provide subject matter expertise in the development of NHVR safety and regulatory operational policy, work
procedures, guidelines and other related products.
- Develop and deliver detailed project implementation plans that incorporate key activities, critical milestones,
dependencies and schedules.
- Work autonomously and actively participate in multidisciplinary teams providing informed policy and technical
advice, options and recommendations to inform operational decisions.
- Identify and deliver key policy or procedures necessary for effective transfer a range of regulatory services
identified for transition.
- Identify key equipment, systems or infrastructure required to support effective service delivery and analyse and
make recommendations about the acquisition of same.
- Support the management of the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) authorisation database, including the
preparation of instruments of appointment for authorised officers.
- Research and respond to enquiries from industry, partner agencies, customers and the community.
- Provide specialist support, analysis and advice to NHVR management and colleagues, together with national safety
and compliance officers and HVNL authorised officers.
- Co-ordinate and participate in consultation and engagement with partner agencies, industry and other key
stakeholders regarding heavy vehicle safety and compliance.
- Prepare and review reports, correspondence, briefing notes, submissions and other documentation and
presentations to a suitable NHVR agreed standard.
Skills and Capabilities
- Contribute proactively to divisional business planning and the ongoing improvement of service delivery.
- Adhere to all NHVR policies and procedures to ensure compliance with NHVR internal processes.
- Comply with WH&S policies and procedures and contribute and promote a safe and healthy work environment.
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills with the ability to apply these skills to legislative, policy and procedural issues.
- Proven ability to contribute to the development, implementation and continued improvement of detailed
implementation plans and schedules.
- Demonstrated high-level written, oral and interpersonal skills with clear and concise analysis and expression.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks with the ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
whilst exhibiting sound judgement, and professional and ethical conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to consult, negotiate and develop productive working relationships with stakeholders
including coordinating the work of multi-disciplinary teams and working groups to ensure that deliverables and
deadlines are achieved.
2 of 3
Position Description | Policy Advisor
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and meet critical deadlines.
Qualifications and Experience
- A willingness to undertake regular interstate travel.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relevant heavy vehicle legislation including the HVNL.
- Experience and prior working in a policy/ procedures development or project delivery role in a regulatory
3 of 3