Manage the proactive and reactive media functions for the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade by providing strategic advice and adhering
to a whole of government approach. Stakeholder relationships are integral to the role including relationship management with media and the
minister’s media advisors.
Context Statement :
The branch strategically communicates government priorities to stakeholders through professional advice, services and support. As part of a
dynamic, multi-disciplinary team this role operates with minimum supervision to initiate and lead communications projects using modern
communications channels and providing comprehensive media and issues management advisory services, including the management of media
enquiries and liaison with the Minister’s Office, senior executives and external stakeholders as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Identify, plan for, write and implement a range of strategic internal and external communication activities, such as media briefs, releases,
editorials and digital communication materials, consistent with government policies and strategies.
2. Lead planning and implementation of strategic internal and external communication projects across department areas.
3. Ensure all communications activities are leveraged across internal and external channels to maximise reach.
4. Establish strong working relationships with stakeholders, including Minister’s office, industry, and agency experts to build understanding of
agency initiatives, issues and sensitivities, and being responsive to stakeholder needs and expectations.
5. Identify, develop and implement inclusive internal communications initiatives to champion diversity and celebrate achievements, including
workplace health and safety compliance to champion a positive, safe and inclusive culture.
6. Support communication and public information requirements for emergency management and biosecurity incursion responses, including
preparedness activities, responding in a positive, calm and flexible manner to change and uncertainty.
7. Provide comprehensive media and strategic communication advice, using sound investigation to gather and analyse information from diverse
sources, with consideration of public and political implications, to deliver accurate and evidence based advice.
8. Act as the first point of contact for all media enquiries, including outside of normal working hours.
1. Demonstrated, and recent superior writing skills, including proof-reading, editing and writing skills, with the ability to translate technical
information into plain English, for diverse audiences, channels and publication needs.
2. Proven recent experience in strategic communications planning, project management and contemporary tactic implementation.
3. Proven recent experience in strategic media management, rapidly responding to reactive issues and initiating proactive opportunities using
superior investigative and analysis skills to recommend best practice approaches.
4. Demonstrated practical expertise providing impartial and forthright advice to senior management, following protocols with consideration of
broader issues, public and political implications and demonstrated ability to act with integrity and confidentiality.
5. Proven experience working in high-pressure, issues rich, multi-stakeholder environments, managing competing and changing deadlines in a calm
and positive manner, with the capacity and willingness to undertake work outside of normal working hours.
6. Well-established local media industry knowledge and sound existing industry relationships, or a proven ability to develop.
7. Demonstrated ability to think creatively and initiate innovative organisational solutions with a strong client focus, excellent target audience analysis
skills and the ability to identify and respond to broad factors and influences that may impact success.
8. Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in a flexible and responsive manner to support team objectives, manage multiple projects and
deadlines, to self-identify risks and opportunities and to interact as an engaged, effective team member.
9. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills to maintain effective relationships, negotiate best practice solutions with strong self-awareness, to ensure
continuous improvement and excellence in strategic communications services.
1. Tertiary qualifications in public relations, marketing, communications or a relevant discipline.
2. Experience supporting public information functions under emergency management protocols.